We were able to continue the Youth Conservation Corps program this summer thanks to generous support from Connecticut Community Foundation and donors like you! This year’s team consisted of Mike Hunyadi of Oxford serving as Crew Leader, and crew members area high school students Molly Galusha of Westover School, Sabryna Coppola of The Gunnery, Gianni Spiotti of Watertown High School, and Sam Tscheppe of Canterbury School.
In addition to installing the rain garden at Community House Park in Southbury, the team also completed the following conservation projects during their six-week season:
· Cleared an estimated five tons of invasive plant material
· Cleared one mile of new hiking trails
· Conducted in-stream and stream-side trash clean-ups
· Hosted two rain barrel workshops
· Lead two educational programs for area summer campers
Project site partners, including Town of Woodbury, Town of Southbury, Roxbury Land Trust, Southbury Land Trust, and Audubon Bent of the River, were beyond appreciative of the outstanding work completed by the Youth Conservation Corps team as they helped complete several conservation projects that may not have happened without such collaboration.